This year we’ve reached many milestones, none of which would have been possible without YOU!
Our community has increased drastically over the past year, providing the partnerships and funding needed to truly reach the next level. Most importantly, 2019 saw us expand our field operations, and with new partner landowners the next concrete goal is in sight, our first one million trees!
From new partnerships to second pilot projects, here are just a few of our highlights from the year:
- 90% survival rate of our first seedlings, compared with an industry average of 70%.
- In 2019, 15,000 trees were planted, and an additional 41,000 trees were grown by natural regeneration.
- Our extensive Green Capital Study is nearing completion! 11 international researchers, 12 months and an expanse of data about the impact on the Araguaia Corridor. With this, a Green-Global advisory board was established, consisting of highly renowned individuals in fields such as landscape management, green finance and corporate sustainability.
- After a lengthy application process, the BJF became an official IUCN member!
- A successful due diligence trip by environmentalist Andrea Dreesmann and her son Felipe, to visit our field work in April 2019, led Andrea and Quinten Dreesmann to start committing to the BJF.
- Marina (Partnerships Coordinator Brazil) and Dimitrio (Project Coordinator) joined team BJF Brazil and Daisy took over as Communications Coordinator.
- Elyakin and Phablo joined our field team as environmental engineers, starting to create crucial new partnerships with landowners.
- The Black Jaguar Foundation website went live in Portuguese
- BJF Governance project began, in close partnership with law firm Vieira Rezende.
- BJF Book, No Risk, No Life was released in Portuguese! View the book launch
2019 has been an amazing year, we feel more honoured than ever to be working with so many inspiring team members, partners and friends. We will keep this positive momentum propelling us forward in 2020 and look forward to many bigger and more green milestones on the horizon!